Today the students in the Young Dancers Workshop dove into their second full week of dancing. At the end of their first week we chatted with a few dancers over lunch to ask about their first impressions of the festival.
Q: You’ve made it through the first week! What’s something that you learned this week, were surprised about, or was unexpected?
- Aya: Before I felt like each time they told us to improvise I was dreading it, but now I’m used to it and I’m surprised that I actually enjoy it.
- Jordan: I’m not as sore as I thought I was going to be! I’ve learned different ways of taking care of my body, which stretches are good and which to stay away from, how to tell if something is soreness or injury.
- Aislinn: I came in with a preexisting injury and everyone’s been really supportive and helpful in how to treat it.
- Gabby: As it’s my second year here it’s very different from the previous year… In the past year I’ve worked on how to balance more and keep myself aligned, and feel my body all in one piece.
- Ethan: I’ve been challenged physically, mentally, and artistically.
- Mai-Leah: I’ve never sweat so much that I’ve had to wring out my clothes!
- Isabelle: I’ve met all kinds of people here that have the same level of technique as me but very different choreographic inspiration.
- Carlos: This is actually a great opportunity for dancers who haven’t had a lot of experience and training. I’ve been able to just come and join in and be a part of something.
This post was written by Chava Lansky. Chava is the BDF Social Media Intern for the 2016 summer.