The Teacher Training Workshop is an 7-day intensive embedded in the Festival’s Professional Training Program that offers practicing dance educators a chance to refresh and renew their passion for teaching. Dance educators will gain valuable new insights and information to enhance their classroom and creative work and fortify their core teaching values.
To qualify applicants must be currently teaching dance for grades 6-12, college students or adults, and/or be enrolled in M.Ed. or MFA program and intending to teach. Please include this information on your required resume.
The Teacher’s Training Workshop includes:
- Teacher’s Laboratory In the daily afternoon 3-hour sessions with master teacher Mary Carbonara, participants will explore different learning modalities, appropriate age and grade-level lesson planning, student assessment, injury prevention and somatic approaches to conditioning, composition, collaboration, improvisation, and performance skills, and building community through movement practice.
- Educators’ Panel with Guest Faculty: How Do We Teach Today’s Students? The opening session on Sunday, July 23 will bring together Festival faculty to discuss what it means to teach students who have immediate and constant access to infinite online content, where issues of identity, citizenship, justice, culture, and art are debated and re-framed non-stop. What is the relevance of dance and movement in a cyber world?
- Special Music for Dance Teachers Module Participants will work with Carbonara and master musician and accompanist, Shamou, to develop and hone their skills at incorporating live music into their classes and to learn to identify different time signatures, tempi, and sound qualities to better communicate with composers and accompanists and to broaden your ability to select exceptional music for your classes and performances.
- A Choice of Elective Classes to Attend or Observe Daily Teacher’s Workshop participants may elect to register for specific morning classes to create their own movement experience for the week, or may choose to observe open morning classes on a day by day basis.
- Three Main Stage Performances including the zoe | juniper, Musicians’ Concert and the Festival 35th anniversary performance.
Delicious Shared Meals and On Site Housing with Workshop Attendees
Workshop Fee is $1175 including 4 classes a day, master classes, and tickets to three performances, plus meals and housing.
See Tuition & Fees for details.